Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Death by a thousand conversations


    I'm someone who believes that in general, you shouldn't ask kids to do something unless you have a good reason. And that you should be willing to explain your reasons to them, for their sake but also for your own sake. I'm an Alfie Kohn devotee, and I believe from my own experience (and Kohn's books) that external motivations, i.e. threats and bribes, don't work well in the long term. So, I explain, and I explain, and I explain.

    And because we're unschooling, whenever Anya has a question, I explain... and explain further. She's a chatterbug, and I'm sure that this is helpful long-term, because she learns a lot from our conversations.

    But I get bone-weary from all this discussion. How do tornadoes happen? Why can't you make a cake out of only sugar and eggs and milk and no flour? What do spies do? What's a war? Oh, and could you make sure your answer is understandable to 6-year-olds, avoid anything scary, and condense your response to no more than 5 sentences?

    After a while my brain goes numb.

    Having given you that context, I had what you might call a 'parenting failure' today-- hardly a rare event, I admit. It happened like this:

    Me: Anya, you've been out of the bath for a half hour, will you get dressed, please?

    Anya: Why should I?

    Me: Because we don't want your butt showing all day.

    Anya: I think I have a cute butt.

    Me: You do have a cute butt, but I don't want to look at it all day.

    Anya: So don't look.

    Me: Listen, will you just put on underwear, at least? As a favor to me?

    Anya: Will you just do me a favor and stop asking me to put on underwear?

    Me: Someone might come to the door, you need to at least have underwear on.

    Anya: Okay, if someone comes to the door, I'll run upstairs and put underwear on.

    Me: Look, it's not normal to go around naked all day, all right?

    Anya: Well, it's normal for me!

    Me: You need to wear some clothes. People wear clothes for a reason.

    Anya: Like what reason?

    Me, losing it: I AM YOUR MOTHER AND YOU WILL DO WHAT I SAY! GO AND PUT ON UNDERWEAR!

    Oy vey.

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    HAHAHA! Yes, one's patience does wear thin. That "explaining" thing can get a mom into a bind at times!

    July 07, 2006 8:30 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think I have had that exact same conversation with my six-year-old daughter.

    July 22, 2006 12:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home