Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Sunday, July 02, 2006

A different sort of learning


    Even though I consider myself an unschooler, there are times when I get antsy because we aren't doing daily math and reading lessons, or because Anya used to know where all 50 states were and has now forgotten half of them. For instance, my husband's relatives from down south are coming up to visit, and I find myself wishing Anya were reading.

    At times like that, I have to remind myself of all the stuff Anya's learning that doesn't "count" as learning in a school setting. Stuff she learns because she's with me all day, and can ask questions whenever they pop into her head. Stuff like:

    • What a "chain reaction" is
    • How to count using 4 vertical scratch marks + one diagonal mark, in groups of five
    • What an electrical outlet "adapter" is (e.g. one that converts 1 plug into 3 plugs)
    • That the water should be boiling before the noodles go in
    • What hit points, armor class, constitution, and charisma are (for you DnD fans)
    • How soccer is called football everywhere on earth except the US
    • What weddings and wedding rings are all about
    • What ear mites are (in cats)
    • Why hot and humid is worse than hot and dry
    • That heavier letters need more stamps
    • What a gift card is
    • What abstract art is
    • Words like violet, teal, chartreuse, army green
    • The Chinese symbol for "rain"
    • What "hold your horses," "fit as a fiddle," and "you're a goner" mean

    There are probably 200 other figures of speech I could add to that last item, if I could recall them. Lately Anya is fascinated by idiomatic expressions, and will stop you and ask questions if you happen to use one. Also, her choice of words is getting more creative, and often sounds strange to adult ears. She was dialing a phone number the other day and said "Mom, I can't remember how it goes... could you direct me to the numbers?" Or, when she was painting: "I made the symbol, and then I put my style around it." I made toast one morning and she called to me: "Mommmm-- the toast ejected!" She has a decent vocabulary, which is no surprise since she talks to me All. Day. Long. But I don't get to call that "teaching," and if I measure against a traditional school curriculum, creative word choice doesn't count for anything.

    Anya spends a lot of time watching her goldfish, captured bugs, bugs outside, birds in the yard, etc. She's absorbing a lot of information about animals, but not necessarily the kind of data you can form into multiple choice questions. I've learned a lot, too, including that science texts and our society in general tend to underestimate animals (including young humans, while I'm on this topic). Many insects, for instance, wash themselves in a manner that is not unlike a cat washing itself. They rub themselves all over with their front legs, including brushing off their antennae. Who knew? (Non-insect bugs don't do this, as they are dumb as a doornail in my experience.) And our goldfish are affectionate with each other. I am sure there is a scientific explanation for the fish remaining within an inch or two of one another, even though we have a 5-gallon tank; and for brushing each other with their extra-long tail fins. It's a schooling instinct, or perhaps it keeps the algae off their scales. I am sure there is also a scientific explanation for the fish zooming through the shower of air bubbles from the bubble wand at the back of their tank, then shooting through the rock tunnel and back into the bubbles again, one following the other. There's just more oxygen above the bubble wand, and they like the rock tunnel because they instinctively seek shelter. But Anya and I know that the fish enjoy each other's company, and that they play together. You'll never read that in an academic book, since academics have a positive terror of being accused of anthropomorphizing. (My father-in-law, a consummate academic, once accused me of anthropomorphizing when I was talking about a human being.) So, Anya's learning that you can't take a whole species and collapse it into three sentences in a biology text. Those texts are very useful, and we look stuff up in books and online all the time, but there is also the wonder of the natural world, which can't be scrunched into "Chapter 4: Aquatic Vertebrates." I count this as learning, too.

    But I still wish Anya could read. I just can't help it.


    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "creative word choice doesn't count for anything"

    Of course it does! Why do you think that school assign vocabulary words that kids have to define and use in a sentance. She is doing that all on her own. :o)

    The wanting them to learn to read thing is hard, isn't it? It will happen. And I know that you know that. Just wanted to say it again because it helped me *so* much to hear this from other hsers when Jason started to read "late".

    Looking back on it, I know that he read perfectly when he was ready and I am *so* glad that he had that freedom. And now, you would never know that he started "late". Honest. :o)

    I remember these feelings though...wishing that everyone else could see all the little things that can not be tested for rather then focus on the big "not reading thing" that was so obvious. Feel free to check out the Reading category on my blog if you need some encouragement. When it finally happens it makes it that much sweeter.

    Hang in there...

    ~Steph

    July 04, 2006 10:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow. I like your list of things Anya learned! Chartreuse... PANIC! Gotta go and teach my kids the names of colors!!!

    lol

    July 04, 2006 10:45 AM  
    Blogger Production Is Wealth said...

    About that "chartreuse" thing-- Anya's been obsessed with colors since she was about 18 months old, and always wanted "one of each color" (red, blue, green, yellow) as a toddler. She was downright obsessive-compulsive about colors at times.

    So, I guess it's natural that now she wants to mix her paints to make all different shades, then ask me what color it is.

    I think that's the sort of context you don't always get in a blog post, which explains why a kid knows about, say, carbon dioxide at age 4.... I once panicked because some other mom mentioned teaching her son words like "dodecahedron" and "rhombus", but you never know, maybe he was born obsessed with geometry! =)

    Also, thanks Steph... I think I stress about reading because I read early, as a kid... so why doesn't she? On the other hand, my brother was "behind" in reading in school, until one Christmas vacation he went up like three or four grade levels, because he finally, simply, wanted to read and was ready. Funny how one's rational thoughts don't help with the irrational worries, though!

    July 04, 2006 1:38 PM  
    Blogger SoulRiser said...

    I thorougly enjoyed reading this post... It's interesting reading about all the things that happen in any random day that one can learn from in some way. Stuff that school tends to overlook - especially that stuff about the fish enjoying each other's company. I've always enjoyed watching bugs and animals interact with each other, and always found it really demoralizing when someone gives me a 'scientific explanation' for how and why they do that (usually something involving chemicals and hormones). Sure, that's interesting too, but it's like, okay, so the chemicals do all this stuff, and then they tell us human emotions work on chemicals as well - it's like telling me that feelings don't matter because they're just a bunch of chemicals anyway. I don't really know how to explain it - but it bothers me.

    July 04, 2006 2:54 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi, h

    Very interesting post. It touches on what is most important to me about hs. I find it difficult to put into words when explaining hs motivations to non-hsers who have not considered these issues enough to think them worthy of concern. At not least without writing a novel.

    In simplistic terms, public school is geared to generating kids who can be economically active and productive - the modern-day equivalent of the good old assembly-line worker.

    If you look at what they test, in other words, what they deem to be a measure of the value that was instilled into kids during their school years, it is all factual knowledge.

    On the other hand, one could argue that values that are truly meaningful to society, such as caring, curiosity, playfulness, creativity, honesty, and so on. cannot be tested, only fostered.

    The problem is that in measuring some things, and promoting kids based essentially only on the results of those tests, we make profound statements of what is important.

    It is very difficult to avoid internalizing some of those biases. It is one of the main reasons why I do not think I could be an unschooler - I would not be able to steer the course, without interfering when my child is not proceeding according to how I think things should go. For example, some unschooled kids do not learn to read until very late, by public school standards. Yet they suffer no harm from this. Au contraire.

    One little mindgame I play with myself is to imagine we are the Swiss Family Robinson, but one that knows they will be rescued when NutLittle graduates. Will she be adequately prepared to be ready to blossom further into her potentiality then? Is what I am concerned about now relevant to that goal? It helps me sort out my perspectives.

    July 04, 2006 9:25 PM  
    Anonymous Linnie Lou said...

    My my,
    I found a page from my first son's baby book the other day. It had the usual lists of when did he do what. As for his first words list, I'd put, "He can talk any time he feels like it. He just doesn't feel like it right now."
    How did I get away with an attitude like that in 1973? I don't know and I don't care--one day three years ago he called me up and said he was doing some light reading: The Inferno. Okedoky, son. I wish he'd shut up sometimes. Guess he doesn't feel like it.

    November 15, 2010 10:59 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home