Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Burnout


    I hope to return to regular blogging soon, as I recover from what I'll call mom burnout. Not homeschooling mom burnout, because frankly we've not done that much that's educational recently-- I'm talking plain old mom burnout, where you feel like "Okay, if we can't do X or Y or Z without winding up with an exorcist-style tantrum and the older child simultaneously crying, then we're just going to STAY HOME and watch TV all day and forget it."

    I know the stuff I'm dealing with is the same stuff all moms deal with, which is why I've so far resisted posting a whining burnout diary. It's just normal stuff: fish emergencies, eyeglasses missing a screw, tantrums, sandals that need exchanging for the correct size, stuff due at the library, constant requests for pizza, and pants that have mysteriously shrunk 6 inches in length (surely Anya couldn't have grown that fast!). That's the list so far today, as of 9:15am. (Oh-- and I've got to send that gift to my friend who had a baby a couple of weeks ago. Now we're up to three separate errands for the day and it's supposed to thunderstorm... sigh.)


    Over the past 14 months since we decided to homeschool, I've been amassing all kinds of plans and ideas. Homeschooling blogs and The Unschooling Handbook and my own family all provide oodles of great educational ideas. And here I am with a toddler whom I cannot take across a parking lot without reserving 10 minutes for the resulting tantrum (because I didn't let him run around on his own, touching all the cars). The thoughtful folks at our local library put benches just outside the door, which have been useful as a place to hold my screaming 32-pound child until he can forgive me for carrying him across the blacktop, and settles down enough that we can enter the library. Afterward we have to wait again, this time in the car, until the tantrum subsides enough that I can get him strapped into the carseat. By this time, after trying to get books and videos while chasing Tristan around and after the two requisite tantrums, I am ready to go home and stick them both in front of the TV for a while.

    I know, of course, that Tristan is 23 months old and that in another 6 months my life will be starting to get much easier. One of these days, he will accept the idea of walking across parking lots while holding my hand. One of these days, he will allow me to use the computer without having to play him the Pixar Cars movie trailer every five minutes. Anya and I will be able to play games without him wanting all the checkers, dice, dominoes or whatever. Art projects will be do-able because he won't be shrieking at his lack of access to Anya's paints. Negotiation will be possible, and I'll be able to get certain concepts across to him, like sharing and taking turns and the meaning of "Okay-- in just a minute".

    Assuming we get through these 6 months with everyone's sanity intact, I've got big plans!

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Mark said...

    Hang in there!

    Good to here something from you, at least. I was starting to wonder.

    May 25, 2006 12:38 PM  
    Blogger Kate said...

    sorry i didnt call you back but i have had day appts this week along with being gone at night so any time to do anything has ended up being from 11pm to 1am. i dont think you want me to call you then, plus anxiety has been creeping back in me which sucks and makes sleeping a chore.
    i totally feel you on the kid front. it feels like we cannot do anything without ella melting down or getting screechy. i have gotten to the point when folks ask how my kids are i just answer "they're assholes" and smile. people dont really know what to make of it. i love them i really do but man this two kids thing with an anal/particular older child and an attention screech monger for a second. really is blowing monkey chunks. you are being more optimistic than me saying in 6 months it will be better. i have been saying when ella turns 3. i hope you are right.
    we should get together next week. we come to you.

    May 25, 2006 2:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Glad to see that everything's basically okay and you're just busy with life. Aren't toddlers wondeful?

    May 25, 2006 8:34 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, please hang in there. I have wondered as well, since I check periodically to read your blog. I love reading it.
    Do not stress yourself, it will get better, and you will have wonderfull independent children as your reward. I have two children twenty years apart, the first when I was twentyone, and still selfish, the second when I was fourtyone and I am taking my job much more serious, and now I am taking care of my little grandchild while my daughter is away for six month serving your country. Rearing children has changed, when I raised my daughter in the seventies it was so different than now, my son is ten and boys need so much attention from home since society has all forgotten about them. Hang tough, you will be alright, good luck.
    Aloha
    Astrid

    May 27, 2006 7:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have a 5 1/2 and a 3 1/2 year old and I still feel like I can't even go grocery shopping with both of them because THEY JUST DON'T LISTEN and I have NO patience WHATSOEVER. Yesterday I took away tv for the rest of the day (gasp!) because the older one kept running out of sight. And the little one would NOT sit in the cart. So I threatened (and I WAS going to go through with it, too!) we could leave without buying the groceries or she'd let me strap her butt in and we could keep going... EXHAUSTING. I said out loud, for witnesses to hear "I solemnly swear to never again go grocery shopping with both of them." (I mean it!)

    Can't really tell you it gets better, but I guess it sort of does. Yay to seeing the shining moments as opposed to "are we there yet?" at breakfast time...

    July 04, 2006 10:42 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home