Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Saturday, June 11, 2005

No tie, no diploma


    Thomas Benya, a student in the Washington DC area, was denied his diploma at his graduation ceremony because he had worn a bolo tie rather than a traditional one. According to Benya, the bolo tie reflects his Native American heritage. He explained, "I did not feel that I should change my heritage for an hour and a half to wear an actual tie...."

    The school district, which will deliver Benya's diploma at some later date, stands by its decision not to allow Benya to graduate along with his class. Said a school spokeswoman:

    "We have many opportunities throughout the year to express cultural heritage. But we don't do that at graduation."

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hmh! so much for the "diversity" issues in your previous post! :)

    June 11, 2005 4:22 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Did you see that Montana's Gov. Schweitzer came to the defense of the bolo tie?

    (Sorry no link--don't know how to do tinyurl--but check out Kos for this)

    June 12, 2005 7:19 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home