Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Pass me the vomit bag


    This is from an NEA "classroom management" publication:

    Examples of reinforcing classroom expectations include:


    • "I see so many people ready to start meeting. I see hands in laps, legs crossed, eyes front."

    • "I noticed that many people remembered to look at the person they were greeting today...."

    • "Thank you for a very efficient clean-up today. I see caps back on markers, pencils with points down in cans, paper off the floor."

    Now compare that with this excerpt from our local elementary school newsletter:

    I want to take the time to thank [School Name] Parents. Each day I see parents working alongside staff as part of the educational team.... I see the positive impact of parents each day. I see well cared for children that are full of fun and eager to learn. I see you volunteering in the classrooms, in the workroom, on the playground, in the lunchroom and at special events....

    And I see that someone needs to give this principal the bug-eyed, slack-jawed, furrowed-brow look of shock and horror that she deserves for treating parents like they're four years old.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Frankie said...

    I am loving your blog.

    My son went K-2 to public school. With the exception of his second grade teacher, the staff there had a fantastic way of treating parents like we were the most ignorant things on the face of the earth.

    I have several inlaws who are PS teachers and they moan about parents all the time. The very attitude that the quoted principal had. Parents = stupid. Teachers/staff = know it all.

    Gag.

    March 22, 2006 8:32 AM  
    Blogger Production Is Wealth said...

    Thanks! We had Anya in preschool for 1.5 years and now I am sorry we ever bothered. I don't think it was good for her (that's another post), it was expensive, it was often a struggle to get her to go... and the mommy culture there wasn't good for my mental health, either.

    You might like this old post of mine: Socializing parents. Also, though I say it myself, this one was fairly funny.

    March 22, 2006 9:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your final graf made me spit my coffee out laughing. Stop that!! (not really)

    March 22, 2006 9:35 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home