Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Saturday, March 25, 2006

And I repeat....


    From the Wiki entry on attachment parenting:

    One criticism of attachment parenting is that it can be very strenuous and demanding on parents. Without a support network of helpful friends or family, the work of parenting can be difficult.

    Another criticism is that there is really no conclusive or convincing body of research that shows this labor-intensive approach to be in any way superior to what attachment parents term "mainstream parenting" in the long run.

    Criticism #1 is a valid consideration for parents. They may need to find ways of getting support if they're committed to attachment parenting. But from the kid's point of view this is not a criticism.

    As for criticism #2, attachment parenting is, in my eyes, quite obviously more pleasant for the kid. Whether it's "superior in the long run" is moot. I'll say it again: childhood is not preparation for life, it is life.

    Why is that so easily forgotten?

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home