Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Monday, May 16, 2005

Dyscalculia


    Never heard of dyscalculia? According to this article by a dyscalculia expert:

    Dyscalculia is a collection of symptoms of learning disability involving the most basic aspect of arithmetical skills. On the surface, these relate to basic concepts such as: telling the time, calculating prices and handling change, and measuring and estimating things such as temperature and speed.

    I am more than a little bit skeptical about this label. Screening for dyscalculia can cost hundreds of dollars, as can specialized tutoring. Students who are diagnosed with dyscalculia can receive special education through the schools, and a new market in educational materials targeting kids with dyscalculia has sprung up out of nowhere. The cost of education just went up again, and for what? Does this label actually help a kid learn math? Well, maybe it does, if it's the only way a child can receive decent math instruction in school. The expert column I cited above goes on to say:

    Dyscalculic learners lack an intuitive grasp of numbers and have problems learning number facts and procedures by the usual methods of teaching. Even when these learners produce a correct answer or use a correct method, they may do so mechanically and without confidence; they are anxious about it.

    One objective of remedial instruction should be to improve learners' self-esteem by giving them real-life exposure to mathematics as a part of everyday life: ingredients needed in baking a cake, checking the change after purchasing something, or making estimations.


    First of all, read that first sentence again. Why do we diagnose the child with a disability rather than questioning the teaching methods, if the problem is caused "...by the usual methods of teaching"? Secondly, how is it that we classify relating math to the real world (as in Family Math) as remedial instruction? Why should we expect most kids to learn math without real world context?

    In spite of the assembly line expectations of mass schooling, some of us will not learn math as easily or at the same age as others. What's the big deal? We all have strengths and weaknesses and our own developmental timelines. John Gatto wrote, in an essay in the Wall Street Journal:

    David learns to read at age four; Rachel, at age nine: In normal development, when both are 13, you can’t tell which one learned first—the five-year spread means nothing at all. But in school I label Rachel "learning disabled" and slow David down a bit, too. For a paycheck, I adjust David to depend on me to tell him when to go and stop. He won’t outgrow that dependency. I identify Rachel as discount merchandise, "special education" fodder. She’ll be locked in her place forever.

    In 30 years of teaching kids rich and poor I almost never met a learning disabled child; hardly ever met a gifted and talented one either. Like all school categories, these are sacred myths, created by human imagination. They derive from questionable values we never examine because they preserve the temple of schooling.

    That’s the secret behind short-answer tests, bells, uniform time blocks, age grading, standardization, and all the rest of the school religion punishing our nation. There isn’t a right way to become educated; there are as many ways as fingerprints.

    Treating deviation from the average as a disease or a gift depends upon this cultural idea we have that everyone can meet the norm, the average, the median. Just as 98.6 is not the normal temperature for all people, and only 5% of babies are born on their due dates, not all of us will learn arithmetic in kindergarten or grasp phonics by 1st grade. Testing kids once a year to check that they aren't "falling behind," often labeling them as disabled if they are too far behind the norm, ignores human variability. This is not a quality control process, in which a child is deficient if they haven't learned X by point Y on the conveyor belt.

    Of course, I'm swimming against the tide, here. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Neurology classify dyscalculia as a neurological disorder, currently estimated to affect 4% of the population. You just wait, though. As soon as the term catches on, that prevalence estimate will rise, and every other mom at the park will know a kid with this neurological disability.

    Consider this excerpt from Gatto's The Underground History of American Education:

    Another major architect of standardized testing, H.H. Goddard, said in his book Human Efficiency (1920) that government schooling was about "the perfect organization of the hive." He said standardized testing was a way to make lower classes recognize their own inferiority. Like wearing a dunce cap, it would discourage them from breeding and having ambition. Goddard was head of the Psychology Department at Princeton, so imagine the effect he had on the minds of the doctoral candidates he coached, and there were hundreds.

    During the first two or three decades of the 20th century, wealthy industrialists and other elites created our current assembly line system of education. Our societal expectation that all students should follow some "normal" educational path comes from an extremely dehumanizing era in the industrialized world, in which standardized testing, marketing, eugenics, behaviorism, and "scientific management" all came to the fore. Why haven't we thrown this age-segregated, prescribed, inflexible system out the window? Why is western education dominated by ideas that were in vogue right alongside eugenics? Why do we think it's okay to manage our children the way Henry Ford managed the manufacture of cars?

    As Einstein said: I believe in standardizing automobiles, not human beings.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Production Is Wealth said...

    Thank you, I did go and check out several threads at the dyscalculia forum.

    My impression is that people with dyscalculia tend to waste time, procrastinate, have difficulty planning or following plans, hate to write out bills, get mixed up about time zones and lose track of time.

    I might conclude that I have dyscalculia myself. I have the above symptoms, and math was always my lowest score on standardized tests-- in grade school, on the SAT and ACT, and on the GRE. The only problem is that I have my BS in math.

    I have respect for everyone's individual differences, and I would also note that humans were not historically expected to master the levels of abstraction required of us in the modern world. It is perfectly understandable that abstractions are difficult for many people. But I feel that medical labels for such differences are not useful, and I feel that they are used to blame individuals rather than schools, and to prevent people from questioning our overscheduled, rat race society.

    I hope you won't take offense. I was motivated by a desire to have fewer kids labeled and diagnosed because they haven't embraced the mainstream way of living and learning. We diagnose difference as disease so often these days that we're starting to resemble the USSR.

    May 28, 2005 4:39 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your impression is incorrect. I have spent my entire life knowing that I am not stupid, yet not understanding that I actually do have something wired incorrectly that causes me to see and say a particular number and still write it down incorrectly. I can say 344 ten times and still write it down as 443 or 343 or 334.

    I do not waste time, I work very hard. I have no problem following plans, if I write them down and get them organized (this does take a bit of time and I have to set up multiple reminders in Outlook). I don't hate writing out bills, but I have written them up incorrectly many times. I have overpaid and underpaid them because I have transposed the numbers. This does not happen once in a while, it happens all the time. I spend quite a bit of time checking and rechecking to make sure this does not occur, yet it still does. I use autopay through my bank whenever I can to help avoid mispayments.

    I spent my time in school being told that I wasn't trying hard enough or that I was lazy or didn't care and since my mother is an accountant it was even worse that some others. Algebra I and II and Trig were the only classes for which I had to study. Geometry was ok for some reason.

    I recently came close to having a panic attack when helping my sister run the snack bar at my nephew's football game. Even though all the prices were pretty easy numbers to add, $3.50 here $.75 there, I would freeze up. I had to stop because I started to get very anxious and panicky. I have a very difficult time adding in my head. Actually, it's more than difficult, it's next to impossible.

    Unlike some others with Dyscalculia, I am perfectly ok with math concepts. It's only when you put actual numbers in there that it causes me problems. I work in a job that requires me to deal with numbers all the time (what can I say, I am masochistic)and it is very frustrating for me at times. I am fairly good at spreadsheets though since I can choose formulas and let it do all the calculating for me. Even so, I still make many mistakes because numbers do not seem to make it from my brain to my fingertips.

    I understand your position on labeling and overdiagnosing individuals and I agree to some extant. My son has problems with organization and paying attention. I've been told he has ADD. I do not have him on medication. I work very hard with him to help him maintain routines and give him tricks to help him remember, but it doesn't always work. I do not consider myself or him to be disabled. We think differently and we learn differently. No one is the same, however, it is important that we have some kind of definition for our thinking types. Knowing a person's personality type, such as defined by Myers-Briggs (I am an ENFP) helps teachers or employers know how to teach a particular individual or how to best tap into that person's skills and potential. Why should it be any different with Dyslexic or Dyscalculic or ADD thinkers? Children who think this way are being labeled as lazy, stupid and irresponsible. It is much better to give teachers something tangible to work with other than "She's not good with numbers". I am lucky, I've been able to figure out most of the tricks and shortcuts (longcuts really, since I take several extra steps when dealing with numbers) on my own. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until I was in my late 20's. If we can provide tools to teachers and children earlier in life, the children will not have to go through the constant ridicule and hurt that I did.

    October 26, 2005 4:11 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home