Not School

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. -- Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Edison and Einstein


    We're visiting grandparents this week, so posting will be a bit light. I'm just going to throw up some quotes today.

    Thomas Edison, inventor of moving pictures, the phonograph, the stock ticker, microphones, and incandescent lightbulbs, was homeschooled. As one author explains:

    In 1854, Reverend G. B. Engle belittled one of his students, seven-year-old Thomas Alva Edison, as "addled." This out-raged the youngster, and he stormed out of the Port Huron, Michigan school, the first formal school he had ever attended. His mother, Nancy Edison, brought him back the next day to discuss the situation with Reverend Engle, but she became angry at his rigid ways. Everything was forced on the kids. She withdrew her son from the school where he had been for only three months and resolved to educate him at home.

    I hadn't realized that Edison was also a prolific reader, and for instance, got so enthused over Les Miserables that friends took to calling him "Victor Hugo Edison". You can read more about Edison's "unschooling" education at the above link.

    Edison's aide and co-worker, Martin Andre Rosanoff, said at Edison's funeral:

    Had Edison been formally schooled, he might not have had the audacity to create such impossible things.

    As for Einstein, I'll just include some of his words below and leave it at that.

    One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year.

    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

    I believe in standardizing automobiles, not human beings.

    It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to wrack and ruin without fail. It is a grave mistake to think that the enjoyment of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty.

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Carissa said...

    Thanks. I needed this today. I've spent my entire last two weeks trying to get my brilliant, very independent child to learn "responsibility" and to buckle down and get his schoolwork done without dragging his feet. He's had me in tears everyday. Depression is fast approaching. He just needs an entirely different approach.

    September 12, 2013 5:06 AM  
    Anonymous Not School said...

    Hi Carissa,

    Just remember homeschooling may not look one bit like schooling for many families. I'm still homeschooling my two kids today (they are now 13 and 9) and we have a very loose structure. I ask them to do math worksheets every day but I didn't when they were younger. We also do some things for just 5-10 minutes a day, like geography (we use the free program Seterra) and handwriting. Last winter we watched Mythbusters for our science curriculum, I would pause and explain things and sometimes would explain concepts afterward using a white board. We still have not studied much history because my daughter (13) is very sensitive to injustices and violence; in her particular case, she needs to be older. And I didn't teach her to read... it wasn't working, so at age 6 I stopped teaching reading. At 7 1/2 she taught herself and within a few months was reading the whole Bunnicula series, the cat Warriors series, Freddy the Pig books, Oz books, etc. But it was a big leap of faith to decide to stop doing reading. I didn't want her to dislike reading though, and I'm glad I did it that way.

    And we never did do long division beyond single digit divisors. =) We have also never done spelling or vocabulary terms and they've picked that stuff up just through reading.

    How old is your son? How long have you been homeschooling?

    September 12, 2013 9:43 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home